This report provides the most up to date analysis of the leading supermarket chains in Kenya, where recent developments have shaken the grocery retail landscape. It analyses Trendtype’s proprietary research on the winners and losers in the supermarket sector and what it means for the future of grocery retail in Kenya.
– Kenya is one of the most developed and modern grocery retail markets in Sub Saharan Africa.
– The demise of dominant domestic retailers has opened space for international retailers who will change the landscape in the short-term.
– The major battleground for the mid-term will be outside Nairobi.
Key questions answered
– Who are the leading supermarket chains in Kenya?
– What share of the market do they take?
– Which supermarket chains are expanding most?
– How do leading chains compare against one another?
– What is the national penetration of the leading supermarket chains?
– Which segments does each chain operate in?
– Who are the future winners and losers?
Reasons to buy
– Identify the market leaders in the Kenyan supermarket sector.
– Quantify the number of stores, floorspace and position of the top supermarket chains.
– Understand how top supermarket chains compete against one another.
– Assess the size of the supermarket sector and its growth.
– Analyze the market opportunity and future outlook for supermarket retailers in Kenya.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1 – Supermarkets in Kenya
Chapter 2 – The Top Supermarket Chains in Kenya
Chapter 3 – Supermarket Store Networks
Chapter 4 – Modern Grocery Retail Floorspace
Chapter 5 – Positioning of Leading Supermarket Chains
Chapter 6 – Supermarket Chains in and Outside Nairobi
Chapter 7 – Foreign and Domestic Supermarket Chains
Chapter 8 – Key Findings and Future Outlook
Table of Tables
Table 1: Modern Grocery Retail Floorspace (m²) and Share of Modern Grocery Retail Space (%), Kenya, 2018f
Table of Figures
Figure 1: Modern Retail Channel Definitions
Figure 2: Grocery Outlet Universe by Channel (No. of Outlets), Kenya, 2018f
Figure 3: Key Data in Modern Grocery Retail, Kenya, 2018f
Figure 4: Modern Grocery Retail Sales by Chanel (% sales by value), Kenya, 2018f
Figure 5: Top Leading Modern Grocery Retailers by Floorspace (m²), Kenya, 2018f
Figure 6: Top Leading Modern Grocery Retailers in context, Kenya, 2018f
Figure 7: No. of Retailers by Store Network (no. of stores), Kenya, 2018f
Figure 8: Modern Grocery Retailers by Floorspace (m²), Kenya, 2018f
Figure 9: Modern Grocery Retailers by Positioning, Kenya, 2018f
Figure 10: Top Retailers Floorspace (%m²), Nairobi and the rest of the country, 2018f
Figure 11: Store Format of Top Modern Retailers by Floorspace (% m²), Kenya, 2018f
Figure 12: Modern Retail Diversification (% m²), Nairobi and the rest of the country, 2018f
Figure 13: Top Modern Grocery Retailers (%m²), Domestic vs. Foreign, Kenya, 2018f