This report provides in depth data on the grocery retail market in South Africa. It features historic data and five year forecasts for market value and per capita spend in the grocery market. Our data also includes the number of outlets in the store universe by channel and channel values for open market vendors, small stores and kiosks, medium stores, supermarkets, hypermarkets and forecourt retailers.
It also analyses the competitive landscape in South Africa with data on the leading domestic and international store networks. Trendtype’s proprietary data supports a detailed analysis of the risks and market opportunity in South Africa and assesses its market attractiveness for retailers.
– South Africa is the largest market in Southern Africa – its leading supermarket retailers are also instrumental in the modernisation of the food retail sector across the region.
– Its consumer class and retail landscape are well developed – reflected in the high share of sales accounted for by the modern trade.
– Because of the falling value of the Rand, South Africa’s grocery retail market value decreased in dollar terms between 2012 and 2016.
– In 2016 a spike in food price inflation pushed up the value of the market but has severely squeezed consumer budgets.
– As South Africa emerges from recession and looks set to grow we anticipate spending levels will start to increase once again.
Key questions answered
– What are the key drivers of the grocery retail market in South Africa?
– What is the market size and value of the grocery retail market?
– What is size and structure of the store universe?
– What is the value of each grocery retail channel?
– Who are the leading domestic and international supermarket chains?
– What are the winning strategies for success in South Africa?
– How attractive is South Africa as a grocery retail market compared to other countries in Africa and Southern Africa?
– How will grocery retail spend overall and per capita grow through to 2021?
Reasons to buy
– Assess the key drivers of grocery retail market growth in South Africa.
– Quantify the size of the grocery retail market with forecasts through to 2021.
– Understand the size and structure of the store universe in South Africa.
– Quantify sales by channel and the size of the modern and traditional channels.
– Identify the leading domestic and international supermarket chains and the competitive landscape.
– Analyse the market opportunity, attractiveness, risk factors and future outlook for South Africa.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Market Size and Growth
General Market Dynamics
Chapter 1: COUNTRY PROFILE
Map and Major Cities
Gross Domestic Product
Chapter 2: RISK AND BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT
How Easy is it to do Business?
Chapter 3: GROCERY RETAIL MARKET SIZE
Grocery Market Size
Grocery Retail Spend Per Capita
Chapter 4: GROCERY RETAIL CHANNELS AND DISTRIBUTION
Traditional Channel Definitions
Modern Channel Definitions
Size of the Outlet Universe
Grocery Retail Sales by Channel
Modern vs. Traditional Trade
Chapter 5: LEADING GROCERY RETAILERS
Grocery Retail Competitive Landscape
Domestic Grocery Retailers
International Grocery Retailers
Chapter 6: GROCERY RETAIL MARKET ATTRACTIVENESS
Grocery Market Attractiveness
Chapter 7: GROCERY RETAIL MARKET FORECASTS
Grocery Sales Forecast
Grocery Retail Sales Per Capita Forecast
HOW TO CONTACT US
Table of Tables
Table 1: Major Cities and Populations – South Africa
Table 2: Grocery Retail Sales per capita – South Africa (current, R) 2012-2016
Table 3: Domestic grocery retailers in South Africa
Table 4: International grocery retailers in South Africa
Table of Figures
Figure 1: Country Profile – South Africa, 2017
Figure 2: Map and Major Cities – South Africa
Figure 3: Population – South Africa (thousands of inhabitants), 2016-2021f
Figure 4: GDP – South Africa (current, $M), 2016-2021f)
Figure 5: Trendtype Living Standards Score – South Africa, 2015-2016
Figure 6: Trendtype Living Standards Score Heat Map – Southern Africa, 2015-2016
Figure 7: Country Risk Index – South Africa, Q2 2017
Figure 8: Country Risk Heat Map – Southern Africa, Q2 2017
Figure 9: Business Environment Index – South Africa, 2017
Figure 10: Ease of Doing Business – Africa, 2017
Figure 11: Logistics Performance Index – Africa, 2017
Figure 12: Competitiveness Index- Africa, 2017
Figure 13: Grocery Retail Market Development Model
Figure 14: Grocery Retail Sales – South Africa (current, $M), 2012-2016
Figure 15: Grocery Retail Sales – South Africa (current, R) 2012-2016
Figure 16: Grocery Retail Sales per capita – South Africa (current, $M), 2012-2016
Figure 17: Grocery Retail Sales per capita Heat Map – Southern Africa, 2016
Figure 18: Traditional Channels Definitions
Figure 19: Modern Channels Definitions
Figure 20: Grocery Outlet Universe by Channel – South Africa (no. of outlets), 2017f
Figure 21: Grocery Retail Sales by Channel – South Africa (% sales by value), 2017f
Figure 22: Grocery Retail Sales by Channel – South Africa (current, $m), 2017f
Figure 23: Grocery Retail Sales by Channel – South Africa and Southern Africa (% sales by value), 2017f
Figure 24: Modern vs. Traditional Trade – South Africa and Southern Africa (% sales by value), 2017f
Figure 25: Assessment of Retailer Network Strength and Format Diversification in South Africa
Figure 26: Grocery Retail Investment Outlook for South Africa
Figure 27: Market Opportunity vs. Market Maturity – Southern Africa, 2017f
Figure 28: Market Opportunity vs. Market Stability – Southern Africa, 2017f
Figure 29: Market Opportunity vs. Competitive Landscape – Southern Africa, 2017f
Figure 30: Grocery Retail Sales Forecast – South Africa (current, $m), 2017-2021f
Figure 31: Grocery Retail Sales per capita Forecast – South Africa (current, $m), 2017-2021f